Sunday, September 7, 2008

My Relationship With The Media

I would like to say that I stay up to date with current events, but I really do not pay as much attention to the news as I should. I am usually pretty aware of what is going on, but I definitely would like to improve my habits so that I can be more conscious of the world around me. I would not consider myself a Luddite. I like reading the news on the internet. However, there are some newspapers that I enjoy reading, like “City Paper”, which covers local news in Baltimore City, which they unfortunately do not have around campus. I am a media addict, but unfortunately to the wrong type of media. I spend way too much time looking at celebrity gossip and I do not even know why. It has just become a guilty pleasure of mine to frequent Perez Hilton's celebrity blog. If I could improve on my relationship with the media, it would be to devote more time to media that matters, and focus a lot less on the tabloids.

7 comments:

conyima1 said...

I understand where you are coming from because i pay more attention to sports, music videos etc. but i also pay a good amount of time on the news. but just like you, i am striving to pay a lot more attention on reading the newspapers.

Shannon said...

I think that celebrity gossip is so much easier to enjoy than the evening news. It's more entertaining and, when everything in the news is negative, it's like an escape. I agree that it's necessary to devote time to the news, but i don't think that the tabloids aren't important. Also, my friend, Andrew, just moved to a house in the city, so i'm definitely going to reccomend that he starts reading "City Paper"!

John said...

I also do the pay attention to the news as much as I should. I think that everyone should try and watch the evening news a few times a week to see what is going on around the world.

Julia Michelle said...

I am definatly in the same position as you as far as the media goes with celebrity gossip. I tend to get very involved with it, especially wasting money on those trashy magazines. Although I find it very entertaining and it's something that catches my interest, I also need to re-focus myself on bigger issues that are effecting our world (war, politics, weather related stories, etc.)and watching the news at least twice a week!

George Hess said...

I doubt that gossiping would be an effective way to figure out what's going on with the world because gossip can get twisted. I'm glad you want to improve your relationship with the media.

Meghan Colabella said...

I completely understand your addiction to the tabloids, lots of pictures with minimal writing is just plain addicting. I too have the same problem, but I watch those shows on VH1 like the Fabulous Life of.. and shows like the Daily 10 on E.

Chelsea Pfeifer said...

Perez Hilton is my guilty pleasure too! It's so addicting and so easy to browse without even thinking. Its hard to watch the news when 'fun shows' are on, expecially after a long day.