Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Who are you and what does America mean to you?

My name is Jessica Manzo and I have grown up and lived in Baltimore, Maryland, about 30 minutes from campus, my entire life. I love my family, my best friends, live music, being involved, fun activities, learning, good stories, volunteering, sushi, and Baltimore City. I grew up with two Conservative minded parents who, while steadfast with their beliefs, wished for me to take my own stance, allowing me to grow up with a lot of freedom both with my mind and my actions. They have always wanted me to experience things for myself, instead of trying to control or shelter me. I am still trying to figure out what America means to me, but I know that it is a place where I can appreciate living. Not only do my parents grant me freedom, but so does my country. As I find my place in this world, I am confident that America will give me the freedom to form my own views and and choose a lifestyle that will make me happy.

4 comments:

Bongha said...

My parents, though not conservative, have afforded me the freedom to choose what I do as well. Do you think that your parents have influenced how you will come to view America, and if so, in what ways?

Meghan Colabella said...

My parents, like yours, are conservative and although their veiws and beliefs have certainly influenced mine, they have given me the freedom to choose my own set of beliefs. This is because they feel that beliefs are a personal and individual thing that can be influenced by others, but are ultimately decided upon by yourself.

Unknown said...

Bongha, My parents have definitely influenced the way I think. They are really accepting people which I am glad to also be, and they have made their impact with the good parts of conservative ideals.

ALI said...

wow i like your spirit and i love the way you described your lifestyle and about your family as well. keep up with the respect for your parents and our country.