Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Engaging v. Confusing

I would have to say my best classroom experience was my 10th grade world history class. I think the best quality of a class is when the subject matter does not interest you but the teacher draws you in so that you want to learn it anyway. My teacher was completely engaging and creative when it came to lesson plans. We had long discussions of current events and did fun activities to demonstrate event in history. I love when a class is both challenging and approachable so that you are able to succeed.
My worst educational experience was my 11th grade physics class with a teacher who had taught for a year at a community college. The biggest problem that I ever have in the classroom is when a teacher is not confident or completely knowledgeable in the subject. We often had to correct him or he would tell us too completely opposite explanations for the same thing. It was so confusing. The second worst problem is lack of control. Since the class had little focus, students did whatever they wanted and the teacher could not do anything to control them.

4 comments:

Isabelle said...

I agree completely that the teacher's motivation is an important part of the classroom experience. I always loved my history and English classes, and I can remember my ninth grade government class, where the teacher didn't really teach anything and it was obvious he didn't want to be there. He showed movies in that class, instead of teaching us, and talked to the athletes for half the class period about sports.

John said...

I agree there is a lack of control in classrooms due to the teacher. I think we can fix this by better preparing teacher to teach classes instead of them just being thrown into the class without any training of how to handle the class.

orudio said...

It's really iritatin when the person who is supposed to be supplying you with information doesn't know it themselves. I also had a teacher like this in high school and I always felt like my brain was turning to mush because I wasn't being taught correctly.

JordanPrice27 said...

I completely agree with both your paragraphs, mainly because I have had similar experiences. My best classes always had an interesting and engaging atmosphere and my worst were always a result of poor teaching. I understand what you mean about being cofused too. Often times, when I was confused in classes, I would attempt to ask questions, and the main difference between the good ones and the bad ones were how comfortable I felt in asking questions and how throughly my question would be answered.